Throughout this course, you will read articles and watch videos from elite level coaches and Performance Analysts with experience at the highest levels of the game. Their insight and advice, coupled with case studies and tasks will help you, the coach, to think more purposefully about your team’s performances.
Upon completion, you will have a clear idea of both why and how to measure and analyze your team’s performances and how this can be achieved at your club.
No matter what level you are currently involved with, there is something for you to take away from evidence-based coaching.
As you progress through the different modules, you will read articles and watch videos discussing the benefits of evaluating both your team, and yourself, before developing your own system of evaluation to suit your teams level of play and resources available.
Using real data on Major League Soccer provided by Opta, you will be introduced to some very basic principles of data analysis and experience how a coach can discover previously unknown trends as well as track key principles of a teams playing style to aid decision making in the coaching process.
Coaches taking this course will also be introduced to many different video analysis and feedback software’s ranging from elite-level used by professional teams, to amateur-centered options more suitable for coaches with fewer resources.
After completing the course, you will have built an evidence-based match analysis plan designed for your team. The aim is to help coaches and technical directors make more informed decisions using techniques and advice from coaches and analysts at the highest level of the game.
Once you submit your plan, it will be reviewed and assessed by a professional Performance Analyst, and returned with some constructive feedback.
What Are The Course Modules?
- How do you currently evaluate your team?
- What is Performance Analysis & why do we use it?
- Focus on playing philosophies (what is yours and why do we have one?)
- Detailed investigation of attacking concepts (including statistical studies)
- Detailed investigation of defensive concepts (including statistical studies)
- Detailed investigation of set pieces (including statistical studies)
- Re-visiting the playing philosophy
- Analysis & coaching tools to aid with Match Analysis
- Building a measurement framework to support your philosophy
- Individual profiling and target setting
- Building targets into your training methods
- Feedback of information to players
- Season long benchmarks
- Submitting your Evidence-Based Coaching and Match Analysis Plan
Who Is This Course For?
This course is tailored to suit any coach, technical director, general manager or performance analyst who wants to be more purposeful and specific when considering the performance of a team. The step-by-step process of evaluating what to measure, why you will measure it and how to measure it, has been designed so coaches and other key decision makers can objectively consider team performances without being influenced by match results or key moments.
Who Are The Contributors?
- Matt Pilkington – Head Coach, New York City F.C. U19’s
- Wimler Cabrera – Head Coach, Houston Dynamo
- George Gelnovatch – Head Coach, University of Virginia Men’s Soccer
- Lucy Rushton – Head of Performance Analysis & Technical Recruitment, Atlanta United
- Sam Lawson – Performance Analyst, U.S. Women’s National Team
- Oliver Gage – Head of Performance Analysis & Technical Recruitment, Houston Dynamo
- Ewan Sharp – Performance Analyst, New York Red Bulls
- Mark Krikorian – Head Coach, Florida State University Women’s Soccer
Estimated Time Commitment – 20 Hours